View Full Version : Upcoming Fall Federal Election

Zap
05-09-2008, 02:43 PM
So...

It looks as though we are going to have a federal election called this Sunday.

Are you ready for it? More than ready for it? :D

digidude
08-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I really don't know who to vote for. Kind of a lesser of two evils type of thing.

Zap
08-09-2008, 11:10 AM
True, but we have more than two evils to choose from. :eek: :P

Just do your research, check each party's website and read up on them.
The choice should become clear.

Zap
02-10-2008, 11:42 PM
The English language debate was aired tonight.
Did you watch it? Did it change your vote or solidify it?

Do you know who you're going to vote for yet?

Let's hear your thoughts.

:cool:

fastreplies
03-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Sorry fellows Canacs but tonight I wached other debate

As in general I always vote NDP. Probably because in Manitoba NDP is lesser of 2 evils and PC is really the evil one to my teste.

fastreplies

dpylyp
03-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Hello
Like a typical TV viewer I flipped back and forth between the US and Canadian debates.
The difference in format and presentation was astounding.

The Canadian debates looked like a PACK mentality ganging up on the opponent.
Some of the remarks were incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful.

The US debate was organised polite, well formatted, articulate and worthwhile.

Who will win is for the voters to decide... so I hope everyone goes out to vote.

Dave

Zap
03-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Dave.

I must say, I'm surprised at the responses so far.
I didn't even bother to watch the US debates.
I can't vote there, so what's the point?
I can read the highlights later.

Since you and fastreplies both watched the US debates, are you already decided about the Canadian election? You both know who you're voting for already?

fastreplies
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Since you and fastreplies both watched the US debates, are you already decided about the Canadian election? You both know who you're voting for already?

As I said: NDP is my cup of tea
:D

fastreplies

Zap
03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
As I said: NDP is my cup of tea

fastreplies

You're not even interested in what the other leaders had to say?

fastreplies
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
You're not even interested in what the other leaders had to say?

Of course I do but no matter what they say or promise I made my mind long time ago and for many years now I vote NDP.

As I said Manitoba is NDP / PC Province thus I would prefer to see member of NDP represent us in the Parliament. Someone must voice our (small guys) needs and not some greedy money-grabbing corporations

fastreplies

Zap
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Of course I do but no matter what they say or promise I made my mind long time ago and for many years now I vote NDP.

As I said Manitoba is NDP / PC Province thus I would prefer to see member of NDP represent us in the Parliament. Someone must voice our (small guys) needs and not some greedy money-grabbing corporations

fastreplies

I see.
Thanks for the reply.

I think I have my mind made up, almost. But I still watched the debate because you never know.
Advance polls open today and I guess I could go and cast my vote early, but I don't, just in case I change my mind between now and the 14th.

fastreplies
03-10-2008, 03:00 PM
@ZAP

Would you like to share with us who are your chosen guys in this election will be?

fastreplies

Zap
04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Not really. I usually keep that to myself. :)

dpylyp
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Canada is tied to the economic policies and plight of the United States.
Their population is embroiled in a war in Iraq and Afganistan.
Our peace keepers are in Afganistan in harms way. We need help there from our allies to fascilitate an end to the mission.
Given the turmoil in the global economic markets with 700 Billion.... If funded by the government will invariably increasethe interest rates that affect us all.

I was surpised in the dabates at the attacks against the standing government for their governance of the economy. How quickly we have forgotten the lesson that Bob Rae taught us when he spent 12 Billion Dollars in future debt to help the ecomony in the last NDP Ontario Government.

Spending alone by a government does not ensure prosperity but is the combination of confidence, employment and interest rates that makes people commit dollars into purchases.

I hope everyone gets out to vote.

Who do I think should win? The party that gets the most votes ;)

Zap
14-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Second verse, same as the first!

It appears as though we have another Conservative Minority Government.

The last one actually lasted a while. Maybe this one will too.

ewomack
19-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Who won the September elections? We don't hear much about Canada south of the border... our government doesn't want our citizens to know about all of the services you provide... it may give us ideas... heh...

fastreplies
19-10-2008, 08:45 PM
My favorite party got only a couple more sits in the Parliament :(
For us its still long way to go :)

fastreplies

Zap
19-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Who won the September elections? We don't hear much about Canada south of the border... our government doesn't want our citizens to know about all of the services you provide... it may give us ideas... heh...

The election was October 14th. We elected our third straight minority government.
The ruling party gained some seats, but not enough for a majority government.

ewomack
20-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Ah! So Harper didn't get his coveted majority... I wonder if he considers it all worth it? I guess he didn't lose his gov't... that could have been "interesting."

Thanks!

Zap
20-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Ah! So Harper didn't get his coveted majority... I wonder if he considers it all worth it? I guess he didn't lose his gov't... that could have been "interesting."

Thanks!

It wasn't all bad news for him. He gained about 10 seats at the expense of the biggest thorn in his side, Dion, who will announce his resignation today.
I'm sure that made him smile.

ewomack
20-10-2008, 02:27 PM
It seems like the libs have had tough times since the days of Chrétien... and we down here in the states think Canada is such a hippy Marxist nation... heh... ;)

Zap
20-10-2008, 02:43 PM
It seems like the libs have had tough times since the days of Chrétien... and we down here in the states think Canada is such a hippy Marxist nation... heh... ;)

If I start calling you Comrade, smack me. :P

ewomack
20-10-2008, 03:29 PM
OK! I will smack you with my little red book... so hard you'll have a permanent Mao tattoo... then as you walk down the street people will have ample warning that a CANADIAN is coming...

http://boingboing.net/images/Little_red_book.png

Oh! Wait! Not mine! Not my book! Nothing to see here, folks... (sing) God bless Americaaaa... Land that I...

jimesmark
30-10-2010, 06:30 AM
As is typical viewer I turned back and forth to the U.S. and Canadian debates. The difference between the shape and the presentation was amazing. Canadian debates pack mentality seemed to be switched to the opponent. Part of his speech was incredibly bad and disrespectful.

massonspy
11-02-2011, 03:11 AM
I didnt even have a chance to vote that day. They closed the doors at 6 pm.. At that time people come back from work. Why didnt they chose a Sunday or Saturday?