View Full Version : Does Canada need the CRTC? I Vote "NO"

Arob
05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm tired of their closed minded policies and I hope we can get people talking about this and make it an election issue. We Canadians pay through the nose for their silly 'cultural protectionism' which in the INternet age doesn't even protect us anymore - the CRTC is outdated and it should be abolished.

Forget about the fact that they make Canadian radio stations play Canadian music (cause that's the only way you'd ever hear Glass Tiger) and the fact that they make TV stations play Canadian programs (Danger Bay anyone?)...

The CRTC is 99% responsible for why we pay through the nose for cell time.

They have restricted foreign investment (along with Industry Canada - don't get me started on them), and yet allowed 'Freewheeling' meaning the big three (Bell, Rogers and Telus) can set their own prices and until just recently they wouldnt even auction off Spectrum to newbies at all... The big three have been allowed to buy up the small fish and keep the prices high. Thank the powerful telecom lobby groups in Ottawa for this scenario and look around ... Canada now pays the third highest rates in the world.

its true that a phone bill that costs $500 in Canada only costs about $135 in Holland which has the cheapest rates in the world.

So honestly, are there any good reasons we should keep the CRTC?

Shinto-Canadian Bloke
15-03-2010, 07:52 PM
you need to ask yourself why your cell phone monthly bill consist of 3 digits it is usually those with expensive plans and habits are the ones whining and crying about how cell phones are expensive. here is a hint stop using your cell phone as a mini PC and choose cheaper plans, if you want internet get a laptop or a desktop

wellbalancedmarketing
13-04-2010, 03:22 PM
yes and no
no for entertainment
yes for the purpose of exposure to children

watch0912
11-05-2010, 01:55 AM
I think Canada need CRTC for sure...

benii
17-05-2010, 04:29 PM
There shouldn't be cultural protectionism in Canada. It is just costing us more for subpar services.

As for those cell phone companies and how much they overcharge us...Once I switched to WindMobile, Rogers calls to offer me everything (1000minutes, unlimited texting, evenings/weekends, call display, voicemail) for $15 with no system access fee...and the first 6 months free.

Sounds like a competitive deal that they should have offered against Bell and Telus a long time ago, if only they weren't using their cartel tactics. I rejected their offer just to support the competition. If Wind does well, the prices will come down even more.

Shinto-Canadian Bloke
19-07-2010, 11:26 AM
if the networks were not ditrching Canadian content and culture we would not need to CRTC there is too much American programming on Canadian networks

dandmb50
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
@dandmb50 - Toronto - We got Bell FibeTV back in November 2010 and it's been nothing but problems from day one. We contacted the CRTC and heard nothing back from them. It's over four months since signing up and we still get pixillating and sound-outs on many channels.

You can see the full story if you if you search for my username on google,

dandmb50

Or follow the link in my signature (below) and search for Bell FibeTV.

Caelan
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Yep, get rid of the CRTC.

The entire CDN telecommunications industry needs a complete overhaul.

As for cell phones - I haven't had a CDN cell provider for years. I have a US family plan - 2 Blackberries (one has UNLIMITED data, both countries) and a flip phone. I have 700 talk minutes but I can increase my minutes (or decrease) at any time without penalty. I can make calls to and within Canada and the USA (except Hawaii and Alaska), and it's been years since I had to pay long distance and roaming charges. Coverage is excellent. It's rare to have a dropped call. I pay my bill online. I pay $189/mo for the plan. If I lived in the US and didn't make calls to Canada, that plan would cost about $120/month.

The downside to having a US plan is not being to update software. I can do it it I'm close to the US border or when I'm in the US.